Best viewed with CSS (Style Sheets) enabled!


There are many ways of spending your free time.  Do not be afraid to do what you enjoy doing back home if you can find it here!

Getting to know people

There are many ways of getting to know more about British culture and way of life.  One of the easiest ways of doing this is to join in with a local hospitality scheme.  Why not contact the local international student group for more details? This will put you in contact with local families and activities.

See our "Visit a Local Home" page for details

There is also a HOST hospitality scheme that has been set up jointly by the British Council, Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the Victoria League for Commonwealth Friendship.  This scheme also operates throughout the UK and gives you an opportunity to widen your circle of friends beyond those with whom you live and study.  All international students are welcome to participate.  For more information, visit HOST's website.

Sporting activities

Your campus may well have a sports hall, in which you can take exercise in many different Trainerways. There will normally be a charge for joining the club.  If your college does not have a sports club, try looking in the nearest town.  Weight training, exercise machines, badminton, tennis, squash, table tennis, football, cricket, hockey, rugby and basketball will all probably be available.  Larger sports facilities will usually have a swimming pool and other water sports.


You should be able to find cinemas, theatres, dances, and informative lectures in your area.  Your local international students group will often put on activities of special interest so keep looking out for details.  You should remember that some films and plays may contain violence, language, or sex scenes which you may find objectionable. Look for the classification / rating of films as a guide to content - see the British Board of Film Classification's website for details of what the classifications mean.

Public Houses (Pubs)

If you are ever asked to go into a public house you don’t have to drink alcohol.  A wide variety of soft drinks are available and often tea and coffee too.  Food is usually reasonably priced and a reasonable quality.  You usually need to go to the bar to order your food and drink – don’t wait for a waiter / waitress to come to you!

Clubs and Societies

There will usually be a number of different societies either at your college or in the nearest town.  These include drama, modelmaking, martial arts and rambling (walking) activities.  Look out for a list in the library or ask at the Students’ Union.

Museums and places of interest

There will be many things to do and see near to where you are staying.  A local museum is Natureoften worth a visit: it will give a lot of the history of the area.  The National Trust and English Heritage are national organisations which now have control of many old houses, gardens, castles and areas of land designated as being of outstanding natural beauty.  There is often a charge for entry which goes towards upkeep.  If you enjoy seeing these sorts of things you will find that membership of the National Trust (click here to see website for England, Wales & Northern Ireland or here to visit website for Scotland) or English Heritage gives a much reduced entrance fee.

Images: welcoming international students
in Guildford